The Magic of Maui

The following notes were taken previous to the blog date.

The Maui Connection

(Day 2)

Thursday September 3, 2009

Waking to the sound of Maui’s blissful mantra made the pains of the previous day wash away almost entirely, with the exception of my right shoulder, which was beginning to feel like I pitched for the Yankees.

It was more paradisiacal and enchanting than I could have hoped for, and suddenly I felt as if something I was doing in life must be right.

We were supposed to be attending the Hawaii Writer’s Conference and retreat in Waikiki, but due to some elements beyond our control, we were not capable of registering on time. This was not a huge let down for me, as my girlfriend and I have been making vast connections in the business world, and in general the world I now call “The New Renaissance”, gaining vital knowledge of this career I am in pursuit of, and the interest of people reaching out for new modern causes of their own. We deemed this journey worthy of embracing perspective, and whatever else “it” wants us to do will happen.

The day was quite relaxing, and I was much more enthusiastic than my girlfriend to find out about $2.00 happy hour at the Sands of Kahana next door. Victoria is a firm believer in naturopathic thinking and dieting, which at first, I will have to admit, gave me the intuition to run like hell when I first met her, but after nourishing me with spiritual insight, and herbal licorice, one-year later I have reduced my insidious addictions to an occasional beer or two every month. The benefits are: reduced acid-reflux, clearer vision, less turbulent choice making, and generally a much more pro-active approach to acquiring the abundance of the Universe. That being said, I slammed three wonderfully refreshing Long Beach Lagers, and felt like I was in heaven.

I went for a swim in the ocean that day, and felt younger immediately. We found a McDonald’s close by. We don’t eat McDonald’s food, or what I have coined, “McExlax” but we do enjoy their Chocolate Sundaes.

We checked in with one of the local snorkeling outfits, and we are preparing for a turtle-encounter of the third kind in the coming days. I will let you know how that goes.

That evening, I couldn’t resist going down to the water for one last plunge. The sun had exited, and I was kneeling in the shallow waves meditating on Maui and the powers of the ocean. It occurred to me that I was immersed in the same liquid as all the whales, and all the dolphins, and all the turtles, and even all the sharks in the seas of the globe, and fathoming how this element connected to all the continents and landmasses of the world. A sense of oneness came over me that was hard to describe. As a writer I should accept the challenge of explaining it to you, but it is one of these experiences that you just can’t convey with words.

Upon standing in the waves, I noticed a man preparing to plunge into the dark water. He yelled to me,

“Just had to go for that last swim my friend?”

I didn’t reply.

“This is when all the sharks come out.”

I was sure he was joking, and then the surety wore off, as his smiling eyes told me he wasn’t. I have an enormous shark-phobia.

“What kind of sharks, tiger sharks?” I ask.

“Oh, all of them!” he laughed.

I’m not sure how we connected, but it was quite instant. I explained how I was with my girlfriend, and that I was a fiction novelist here with the intention to attend the writer’s conference. After- I explained that we diverted our mission to Maui for some much needed spiritual insight.

Tom Valentine gripped my hand like a linebacker, and looked me in the eyes. “My friend, I am a Literary and Entertainment manager.”

We talked for about thirty-minutes in the lounge of the Kahana, after which we exchanged information. I warned him that my girlfriend was going to talk his ear off when she meets him. He was a colorful and animated character. For his age, he did not seem lacking in energy, and health and he insisted that we had a lot to talk about.

I informed Victoria that he was downstairs, and she immediately went down to meet with him. They had a marathon of insight to share with each other, and Victoria being the consultant she is dove right into the business repo ire. I knowing that this was a very Taoist encounter, decided not to elate myself in the excitement of the coincidence, decided to cash in for the night, and let the business people do business.

Maui is unfolding great works before us, almost effortlessly.

Comments

Popular Posts