THE SONG THAT I NOW SING

The Kelson’s Song

There is a family that resides in Salt Lake City that possesses the most characteristic and impressive balance of unconditional love I have ever experienced. Having met their father and mother in 2002, I had the short lived honor of writing and performing music with the man of the house during a phase that established a fairly stellar, local, prolific alternative -rock universe.
The world shifted dramatically in the decade that followed. Not just the on-ramp to life's fast lane, but our experience as poets and dreamers became overwrought with the drama of new political overtones, terrorism, foreign policy, etc. Society seemed to become more imperial in thinking and lost some of its hunger for artists and creative life-seekers, making our endeavors far more technical. Though shifts are demanding, Jawn Ben (John Kelson) remained steadfast as a music innovator, raising his family with his endearing wife and queen, Emma Walkingshaw. His encouragement for me as a writer and seeker during the long cold hardships I endured, kept me alive and believing in myself, with no political, religious regiment, or imposing inhibitions. This unleashed the authentic spirit that I possess, and though I try to stay consistently and spiritually conscious, his philosophy was like a roaring sonorous mental vitamin.
Condensing the last remarks, all I have to be is myself around these people, and that's good enough- a Taoist implementation. I seemed to maintain my core principals when I was with them, without losing my rambunctious jovial character. Principals that are by no means contradicting to any spiritual practice that installs truth and happiness.
Jawn and Emma are loving parents to 5 children that I will list. James the oldest, fifteen, is a quiet intellect with a calculating stare, but he does animate quite abruptly, and has a great sense of humor. He is a great spearhead to the group. Devon is a devoted engineer and master weapons manufacturer. Mazzy- is a beautiful, bright young girl with much of the dreamer and artist mentality bursting at the seems. Young Jonathon Sage (The John Prodigy in motion) is a 5-year-old-super-hero often fighting for justice in his cape and undies. And last there is baby Scarlett (The Emma prodigy in motion) an excellent sequel to a beaming kind spirit, and priceless loveable bounty. She also resembles Pebbles from the Flinstones.
In 2010 Jawn encouraged me to regroup as a potentially capable composer, and continue my quest to showcase my relentless angels and demons with him through bass guitar rhythms, and novice vocals. He established a project that we named “Stones and Stars” The battle to resurrect our ambitions began with me trying to acquire a steady work schedule (9-5), the design and construction of an in-house recording and practice studio, the establishment of further publications in my feeble writing career, and the end of a very deep two-year romance for myself. All was marked off the checklist within time except one item- my steady employment. It was a dark year for job searching, and I don't care to think back on much about that. It imposed a grim vortex for me, as my heart was committed to the success of our duty to preserve what I know we were truly created and inspired to do.
In closing this article, the love and structure of the Kelson household was nothing short of a phenomenon. Their riveting inspiration to me was nothing more than the priceless bond between them. Love is a miracle. The two words are inseparable. My envy of their magical threshold sent me whirling into a more deliberate and noble pursuit, my role as a loving father. I have moved just blocks from my twelve-year-old son, Jayden (The Jay prodigy in motion) and made some very dynamic and challenging moves to fill the next chapter with conscious parenthood. Oh...and I found a 9-5.
At the end of this cycle, the greatest composition of all was the experience of being with a non judgmental, proactive, musically embellished tribe. The Kelson's song is being sung with great harmony, and can withstand the criticism of traditional religious oversights. Their love has saved my life, kept me in tune with my Source, preserved the Taoist nature in me, and restored my faith in the modern American family quest. I will strive always to be a Kelson. I'm off to write a new life-song with the theory they have installed in me, savoring my attention to miracles, and indulging in the most pleasant melody of all, the gemstone that is my son~

Don't kid yourselves though. There is a greedy narcissist still lurking in my soul. I will not go easy. Writer's and composers like Jawn and I don't come along that often. We just lack the resources that would inevitably catapult us into the realms we deserve to be in. I'm like a dumb dog. I'll always chase the end of the rainbow- probably till I'm dead. People hate me for it. Oh well. My heart is still beating, and I'm filled with “Songs Yet to be Sung”- Perry Farrell

Eventually they will be “Songs I Used to Sing”- Stones and Stars

Comments

Popular Posts